The national Citizens Advice service website has extensive information which might answer your query. Use the headings below and visit the web site and use their search facility to browse through the advice pages on their website:

Alternatively, scroll down to read some headline summaries which also provides links.


  • Benefits & Tax Credits for people in work
  • Benefits for families & children
  • Help with your rent - Housing Benefit
  • Disability discrimination and welfare benefits
  • What Benefits Can I get
  • Self employed or looking for work
  • Sick or disabled people & carers
  • Armed Forces & Veterans
  • All other benefit information


  • Debt Relief Orders
  • Help with debts
  • Creditors still contacting you - debt management plans
  • Bankruptcy
  • Problems with credit cards
  • Bailiffs
  • Creditor takes you to court for debt
  • Getting a bank account
  • All other debt information


  • Ending a relationship
  • Getting Married
  • Wills
  • Young people and family
  • Domestic violence and abuse
  • Child maintenance
  • Rape & sexual assault
  • Family
  • All other relationship information


  • Small claims
  • Police powers
  • Help with legal costs - legal aid
  • Get immigration advice
  • Take legal advice
  • Human rights
  • Personal injury
  • Other legal information


  • Rights at work
  • Holiday pay - what you’re entitled to
  • Contracts of employment
  • What to do if there is a problem at work
  • Maternity leave
  • Problems getting paid
  • Other work information


  • Renting privately
  • Eviction for rent arrears
  • Finding a place to live
  • Taking in a lodger
  • Harassment
  • Rent and mortgage arrears
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Problems with buying and selling a home
  • Other housing information


  • Return faulty goods
  • Contact the consumer helpline
  • Letter to complain about faulty goods
  • Using arbitration to solve your consumer problem
  • Claim using a warranty or guarantee
  • Buying a used car
  • If you’re unhappy about poor service
  • Other consumer topics


  • The habitual residency test
  • British & Irish citizens - claiming benefits
  • EEA Nationals
  • Non-EEA nationals and the habitual residence test
  • EEA nationals - claiming benefits as a jobseeker
  • EEA nationals - claiming benefits as a former worker
  • EEA (A8) nationals - claiming benefits
  • Other immigration topics


  • Problems at school
  • Access to education
  • Types of school
  • Help with school costs
  • Special educational needs
  • Disability discrimination in schools
  • Other education topics

Benefits - Citizens Advice

It’s important that you get all the help that you’re entitled to. If you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran, we can advise you on benefits and tax credits, as well as council tax and housing costs, and national insurance. If you are facing difficulties getting your benefits paid or have any other questions, we can help you find a way forward.

Consumer - Citizens Advice

Have you bought something and need to return it? Can’t go on the holiday you’ve booked for no fault of your own, but not sure whether you’re entitled to a refund? Received a poor service? Think you’ve been scammed? Our advisers are here to help you get through the small print to understand what your rights are.

Debt and money - Citizens Advice

Dealing with money issues can be daunting. It is easy to lose out or to get in debt if you are unsure how finances work, such as paying interest on a loan, or using buy now, pay later schemes. We can help you make the right choices, including how best to deal with your debt problems, avoid losing your home and get your finances into shape.

Employment and Work - Citizens Advice

Having a job is an essential part of most people’s lives. Whatever job you do, it is important to know what your rights are. If you’re facing issues with your employer, or are not sure that they are meeting all their obligations to you, ask us.

Family - Citizens Advice

Relationship issues, child maintenance, death and wills, separation – these are all areas that can be extremely stressful, especially if you have not had to face them before and don’t know where to start. Our advisers are trained to provide impartial and confidential advice across the full range of issues that affect families, whether it be couples or children, financial matters or educational.

Health - Citizens Advice

Navigating the NHS can be tricky with challenges ranging from trying to find out what you’re entitled to from the NHS to how to complain if the service is poor. Our advisers are trained to help you with these issues and if we can’t help, we can direct you to other specialist agencies who can provide you with help and more detailed information.

Housing - Citizens Advice

Housing rental payments can be an issue for many – taking a big part of total income and with poor living conditions. You need to know your rights and responsibilities and that includes renting council accommodation. We can advise on handling problems with your landlord and help to avoid losing your home. Or if you’re paying a mortgage, you could find yourself threatened with eviction if you can’t cope with your mortgage payments. We can provide information on how to rent or buy a home, or just find somewhere to live.

Immigration - Citizens Advice

Issues with immigration can range from applying for settled status or residency, information about visas, dealing with the Home Office, and citizenship.

Law and courts - Citizens Advice

You can find out more about your rights, as well as what to do if you face discrimination, need legal advice or have to go to court without a lawyer. We also work in partnership with a number of local legal providers, and may be able to refer you to them if we are unable to find a way forward for you without professional advice.